18 September 2009

adelaide beanikin

Gift received! So here's what I made for my friend's little girl, Adelaide, who arrived last week. I bought the pretty merino wool from the Bendigo Sheep and Wool Show. I had a picutre in my head of what I'd like to do and set about transforming it from idea to reality. As my crocheting goes, I did stitch and frog a bit. I used my niece who is a little over 1 year old as my guide. I didn't think I'd quite have enough yarn to make it as long as it would need to be so I managed to find the plain orange/apricot colour and work it in. Good thing I did too coz I didn't end up with much merino left over at all. I started with this extra little notch which I later curled over and worked my way down with continual double crochet. It adds a cute little feature to the beanikin.


And then, once the length was good, I added earflaps coz they're cute and extra warm. I blanket stitched it all around the edge and attached long plaits so it can be tied under the chin. I made it on the larger size as it's nearing summer here so little Addie won't need to wear it until she's a bit bigger anyway.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely hat! I wish I could just create things like that. I still have to follow patterns religiously lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    Love love love the hat! What a great design and colour ;D
    The sheep and wool show looks exactly my kind of things. We have a knitting and stitching show soon in London UK so I can't wait.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete